These are the release notes for the upcoming appleseed 1.1.0 alpha-20, which might actually be called appleseed 1.1.0 beta-1 depending on how quickly things will be going.
What's new in the next release
- Implemented the Stochastic Progressive Photon Mapping light transport algorithm: this algorithm allows to render scenes that are difficult or impossible to render with unidirectional path tracing, in particular scenes illuminated entirely by caustics.
- Implemented multipass rendering.
- Added a spherical camera to render "lat-long" environment maps.
- Added Blackman-Harris pixel filter.
- Implemented fractional sample counts for direct lighting and IBL in the distributed ray tracing and path tracing engines.
- It is now possible to assign render layers to surface and environment shaders.
- The surface shader collection no longer creates one render layer per surface shader; instead, it uses the render layers assigned to the individual surface shaders.
- It is now possible to select an alpha (opacity) value for the EDF-based environment shader (default is 1.0 == fully opaque, as before).
- Print a warning when the importance multiplier of a light or an EDF is negative or zero.
- Print a warning when a light-emitting material has an alpha map as this may lead to unexpected or unphysical results.
- Collapse meshes with deformation motion blur to static meshes if all the poses are identical.
- System information now include the number of logical CPU cores and the total amount of RAM.
- Don't show timestamps etc. when printing system information via the
--systemcommand line option.
- Project file entities are now ordered alphabetically.
- Null normal vectors in mesh files are now detected, reported and corrected.
- Added an option to the uniform pixel renderer to force antialiasing when using 1 sample per pixels.
- The physical surface shader's fake translucency is now purely additive.
- It is now possible to reload the current project during interactive rendering. Render widgets' scrollbars position and zoom level are preserved across reloads, and interactive rendering will restart automatically if it was running when the project was reloaded.
- Added Save All AOVs and Quicksave All AOVs buttons to render tabs (issue 260).
- Picking a scene entity now transfers the focus to the project explorer.
- Default to OpenEXR instead of PNG when saving frames/AOVs.
- rendernode.py 1.14: print system information on startup.
What's fixed in the next release
- Fixed sampling of the bsdf_blend and bsdf_mix BSDF models when blending/mixing purely specular BSDFs with non-purely specular ones.
- Fixed IBL computation via BSDF sampling in the case of purely specular BSDFs.
- Fixed regression: assigning an environment EDF to a render layer had no effect anymore.
- Light/EDF importance multipliers were not working correctly.
- Some EDFs were still casting indirect lighting despite being marked as not casting indirect light.
- Fixed regression: projects were still marked as modified after they were reloaded.
- Fixed regression: total rendering time was no longer written to the log panel.
- Fixed edition of the frame's crop window from the entity editor.
- Mouse coordinates were no longer displayed after the frame entity was edited.
- Fixed crash when picking entities that no longer exist.
- Fixed regression: the
--windowcommand line parameter no longer had any effect.
- Fixed output in benchmark mode.
- Fixed issue #266: rendermanager.py crashes if an output directory does not exist.
- No longer crash if a file disappears while calculating the size of a directory; increased pause between checks from 10 to 15 seconds.