appleseed 1.1.0 alpha-15 Release Notes
These are the release notes for appleseed 1.1.0 alpha-15. This release also includes Blenderseed 1.3.3 and Mayaseed 0.1.8.
What's new in this release
- Added a complete set of Python bindings (compatible with Python 2 and Python 3).
- Added support for transformation motion blur of assembly instances.
- Added support for per-face materials.
- Added support for bump mapping.
- Added support for PNG textures.
- Added support for nested assemblies.
- Added a "Collection" surface shader model that allows to output arbitrarily many AOVs in a single render pass. In combination with the existing "Diagnostics" surface shader, it is now possible to simultaneously output normals, UV coordinates, occlusion etc. with a single render.
- Greatly improved performances of the purely specular BTDF.
- Added an "alpha mode" on texture instances that allows to choose the source of alpha values: the texture's alpha channel, or the texture's RGB luminance.
- Removed redundant multipliers from the Constant, Constant Hemisphere and Gradient Environment EDF.
- Emit a warning if an environment EDF has a null exitance.
- Detect and report invalid values (such as NaN or negative values) in pixel samples.
- A warning is now emitted if a camera or an assembly instance has one or more invalid transforms.
- New dialog window to assign multiple materials to object instances.
- The Same Frame entry in the render widget context menu now only saves the main image. Added a Save All AOVs entry to save all AOVs.
- Added a Clear Frame entry to the render widget context menu.
- The previous render is now darkened before a new render starts.
- New View menu to show/hide dockable panels.
- Keyboard shortcuts for the File menu now follow the conventions of each platform.
- appleseed.cli now emits progress messages during rendering.
--dump-entity-definitionsnow also dumps the definition of the color entity.
--dump-entity-definitionsnow writes to stdout instead of stderr.
What's fixed in this release
- Critical bug fix: lighting was incorrect in presence of materials with alpha maps (incorrect occlusion).
- Fixed a bug in tangent space computation that would lead to incorrect normal mapping.
- Fhe "Fast SSS" surface shader was not handling non-physical lights such as point lights and spot lights correctly. Thanks Yansi for the report.
- Fixed issue #174: objects with an EDF but no BSDF appear black. Thanks wallyr for the report.
- Fixed loading of OBJ files generated by PoseRay when vertex normals are not output (wallyr).
- Fixed the "BSDF Mix" model when mixing two purely specular BSDFs (wallyr).
- The light tracer no longer crashes in presence of materials without a BSDF (jon).
- Background pixels in AOVs are now transparent (just like in the main color buffer).
- Clamped roughness in the Kelemen BRDF so that using a roughness value of 0 results in a correct image (wallyr).
- Cameras no longer systematically have an identity transform at t=0.0.
- Added missing Aspect Ratio input widget to camera entities.
- Fixed an annoyance in the render settings dialog where scrolling with the mouse wheel would lead to inadvertent changes in spin boxes and comboboxes.